Sunshine Coast, British Columbia (April 22, 2023) – Pointhouse Suites on Sargeant Bay has signed the Sustainable Tourism 2030 Pledge, joining a global movement of tourism businesses and destinations committed to creating a sustainable future for the tourism industry. This pledge demonstrates Pointhouse Suites on Sargeant Bay’s commitment to improving our sustainability performance between now and 2030 in support of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.
The UN World Tourism Organization defines sustainable tourism as “tourism that takes full account of its current and future economic, social and environmental impacts, addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment and host communities.”
“We have always been conscious of living lightly on the earth wherever we’ve been fortunate enough to dwell, be it putting down roots or a short wilderness excursion” said Pointhouse Suites Owner, Heather Newman. “Our sustainability journey with Green Step began in 2015. Since then, with their resources and support, we have been working to improve our sustainability performance year over year. Today being Earth Day, we remain dedicated to reducing our impact on the planet by taking the Sustainable Tourism 2030 Pledge and making a public commitment as another step towards becoming a sustainable business of choice. We are excited to expand on our existing initiatives.”
Each year, we commit to measuring and improving our sustainability performance in the following ways:
- Continue to support the ‘Sustainable Sunshine Coast’ initiative to educate visitors on how to reduce their footprint and support activities that are low-impact and regenerative.
- Support local entrepreneurs and the community by developing an updated sustainable purchasing policy.
- Measure our carbon footprint and find opportunities to reduce our emissions year over year
- Implement accessibility audit recommendations to ensure we meet the needs of all visitors.
- Enhance cultural awareness and acknowledgement of Indigenous Peoples and First Nation communities for ourselves, hospitality partners and guests.
- Continue to track impacts on our community, either positive or negative, through engagement, partnerships and volunteering.
For more information about Pointhouse Suites on Sargeant Bay’s sustainability initiatives, please visit our sustainabilty page